Monday, August 9, 2010

At Home Abroad

I've always liked Dietz and Schwartz. A Tree Grow in Brooklyn is one of my all time favorite scores. I was very curious to hear what some of their early work was like.

AT HOME ABROAD. An old fashioned revue-sical. Plot driven shows were still not the most popular form of theatrical entertainment. A show with a THIN plot, littered with specialty songs and sketches still were going strong in the 30's. This one was a hit. Beatrice Lillie. Ethel Waters. The heavyweights actually recorded. I don't get Bea Lillie. I think it was one of those 'had to be there's'. BUT. Ethel Waters is incredible. She sings with such emotion. The sketches are great to hear once, and get a sense of comedy so many decades ago. Besides that, I won't touch the stuff again. I AM impressed that there is SO much dialogue on the recording. You can actually hear the audience reaction on the "Trains" track. Back to Ethel. Thief in the Night is beautiful. I would love to hear just her songs alone without the other muddle. C- (with an A for Ethel)

No comments: