Friday, June 11, 2010

Anything Goes


I'm attacking Anything Goes today. There are 3 different casts singing on the cd, and much of the same material on the Smithsonian record. I'll listen to the record as well because I like the sound better on the record player. The notes in these Smithsonian releases (Oh Kay, Lady Be Good) are just incredible Of course, when you have Richard Norton writing them you can't go wrong.


The London recording is first up on the CD. It's ok. I'm not surprised that the sound quality is just incredible. Musical Theater my have been 'invented' stateside, but recording show tunes for pleasure was definitely something that the Brits started before us. There are so many cast albums from original London productions- many of which started on Broadway then transfered. I have chosen not to include London recordings simply because it would make it impossible to listen to it all. The line is drawn. I listen to this London recording only because it's included on the CD with the (somewhat) original broadway cast. Jeanne Aubert sings everything in her head voice. What is up with that? She has that cliche 30's vibrato tone. It kinda bores me. There is no theatricality in her voice. I can't help but compare her to Merman. Of particular note on this recording is some of the dialogue from the show included before the song 'Be Like the Bluebird'. The Foursome songs are particularly fun.

As for the US recordings with Ethel Merman: what a gem. I think the best part is hearing the original orchestrations. So full, so rich, so classic. Ethel sounds great. It's fun to hear her at the start (ish) of her career. I just wish there was a more complete recording of the entire NYC cast. It would be fun.

Also on the CD is Cole Porter singing some of his songs. He seems like a pedophile. I don't know what a pedophile sounds like, but I have a hunch it sounds a lot like the singing of Cole Porter.

Overall... B+ the record which has everything on the CD gives it the '+'.



No comments: