Monday, August 9, 2010

Porgy and Bess


PORGY AND BESS is fast becoming one of my all time favorite scores. I've listened to the 1951 studio recording mostly. From what I can tell, it doesn't really matter what year you hear...the songs always sing. The recordings on the "Gershwin Performs Gershwin" CD are a must listen. George Gershwin himself announcing himself, calling out the cues and measure numbers to the orchestra. And then they start playing. This is the kind of sound I miss! Everyone playing in one big room. You hear all the acoustics. I think you miss out a little when you mic EVERY individual instrument and then mix it all together. On this recording, you hear everything. People chatting. The flute. The singers. But that all adds to the realism of it. Like, this is how it REALLY sounded back then. It's a lot of fun. These singers sing with real emotion. I'm not sure why I'm surprised. But I am. It's real moving. I can't get over how much fun it is to hear them shouting out measure numbers, while the tape rolls. It's so authentic. I love it. A. There will be a part two to this post... The studio Porgy and Bess... I'm waiting for the CD. The records I have can't play on my record player. But check out the AWESOME cover...

No comments: