Monday, August 23, 2010

The Cradle Will Rock

This could be considered the first true original broadway cast recording. I'm pretty sure it is. This was recorded for the sole purpose of preserving the it for posterity. It is the entire show: scene introductions by the composer, dialogue, scenes, whole song sequences, underscoring, etc... This isn't just a teaser album with a couple songs sung by the star. The whole damn thing.

That being said.

I wish I had the libretto in front of me. I'm struggling just a little with the plot. The music is incredible. I'd love to hear another recording with some orchestrations. However, knowing it's the composer who's tickling the ivories is pretty cool. I'm going to have familiarize my self with another recording (perhaps the record I have of a '64 revival) then re-listen to this. I do like what I hear. The seamless speaking to singing to speaking, all the while acting throughout. The music constantly informs what's going on under the surface. It's a step forward for musical theater. That's for sure. I wish Blitzstein's star burned brighter, because he sure left a major mark on musical theater. People just don't know about him. Regina? Amazing. Juno? Fantastic. But none of them hits. So I guess he's obscure, with the distinction of being the first original cast recording.

It's fun to hear a young Howard DaSilva. I'm used to 1776. The title song that he sings is just great.

B

No comments: