Thursday, September 23, 2010

Something For The Boys - 1943



You wouldn't know from listening to this album that SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS was a big fat hit in 1943. Granted, not the kind of earth shaking hit OKLAHOMA! was a couple months later- but a hit nonetheless. The songs are all pretty lackluster, and just a bit cliche. I also wouldn't have guessed that this is the same writer who would create KISS ME, KATE in just a few short years. I feel like Mr. Porter popped these little tunes out in his sleep. None are particularly memorable. Maybe 'Hey, Good Lookin', but only because my Mom used to sing it when I was a kid (she might actually still sing when given the proper cue). I like the dialogue lead ins to the songs, but they often betray the fact that the songs don't really further the plot. Not like the way they do in KATE. Ethel sounds great, but still doesn't do much for me. The lyrics on the album can sometimes be difficult to understand. I read somewhere that this isn't actually a cast album, but rather some radio excerpts compiled onto an album. I think my favorite song is 'Could It Be You'. Overall, the sound is classic fluffy Porter. Classic brassy Merman. Grade: C

No comments: