Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lady in the Dark 1941

This could be considered a play with music. There are three extended dream sequences where all the songs occur. Gertrude Lawrence's character has problems and she seeks out a analyst to get some help. They figure things out by looking at her dreams (and singing some songs too). This musical was way ahead of its time. There is a note by Moss in the score where he says that he and Weill deliberately set out to NOT create a traditional broadway musical comedy. Well. They did it. I'm surprised that this show isn't done more.



I find this score enchanting. The recording is by no means a complete cast recording. At least we get an idea of what the original production was like. I hate to say this, but I think Gertrude Lawrence was a you-had-to-be-there-to-get-it kind of performer. She sounds just ok on the recording, and yet she was hailed at the time for being an astounding performing. There is one song that isn't from the dream sequence which is the final song, My Ship. It's a lullaby that the character Liza has spent the whole show trying to remember. The melody is perfection. Just beautiful. Yes. There is also the Russian composer patter song that made Danny Kaye famous. This doesn't really do anything for me. I guess at the time it was a big deal to hear someone rattle off a bunch of strange names in like 39 seconds. A fun listen overall. I'm looking forward to hearing contemporary recordings of it.

Grade B

No comments: