Thursday, September 30, 2010

One Touch of Venus - 1943



More like... One Touch of MARY MARTIN. She sounds just incredible on this album. Who knew she could belt? Listen to the end of "I'm a Stranger Here Myself". Wow. This is one of my favorite cast albums I've heard so far. Nash could write some funny, witty lyrics. I wish he wrote more shows. The music is some of Weill's best work thus far. I even love the orchestra tracks (the ballet music). Weill did all the orchestrations himself (as if this were an opera...) and they are magical. I especially liked the Forty Minutes for Lunch music. Ms. Martin brings such charm to her songs. You gotta love a singer who can justify a portamento on just about every other phrase. It works somehow. No one else could do that and get away. And is she mixing? Head voice? It's that weird thing ladies could do back then... sound like they are belting, but it's really just head voice. I'm sure it had something to do with having to project in the big theaters without mics. Merman does the same thing. I love it. I don't know much about Kenny Baker. It seems he didn't do any other Broadway shows, and sings on a just a couple other albums. This is NOT the Kenny Baker who played R2D2 in the Star Wars movies.... just to clarify. But wouldn't that be awesome if they were one in the same? Anyway, the Kenny who sings here is just great.

Grade: A+

No comments: