Thursday, September 30, 2010

Oklahoma! 1943



Well. I've done it. I've actually gotten to the Golden Age of Broadway. OKLAHOMA! marks the start of something very special in the history of musical theater. Singing. Acting. Dancing. All three come together to tell the story AND further the plot through the use of lyrics to express how the characters feel. I could go on and on about the show and the impact is had, but you can read all that in the books and on the albums. I want to talk about this recording and that's all...

As soon as you hear the down beat of the overture you realize that this is a show not like anything we've heard so far. Consider all the Porter shows of the previous decade. Nice, light, fluffy shows and plots and songs and characters. OKLAHOMA!'s songs never sound dated or boring. They are still exciting after all these years-- all of them. (Even It's a Scandel...)

This is actually one of the first times I've listened to the OBC of this show. Of course, it's quite good. Of particular interest to me is the fact that OKLAHOMA! was one of the first shows to record an album not only to commemorate the show, but to make money off it through album sales. I've always like Alfred Drake, his voice just shines in these songs. Celeste Holm makes me laugh when I hear her sing. I can just picture her delivery, and it cracks me up. Joan Roberts is fine, her voice sometimes not warm enough for me. The Bennett orchestrations are, of course, just brilliant. It's nice to be able to hear them so clearly. It's exciting to listen to this album not only for the historical implications, but it sounds so damn good too.

Grade: A

No comments: