Friday, June 11, 2010

Blackbirds of 1928

This was an interesting listen. I'm not sure if it was the recording, the record, or my record player but the sound quality on this album was not great. Everything sounded a bit muddy. I have a feeling it was the record itself. I'd be curious to listen to one of the newer releases of this recording. I bet it's better. Regardless, it has some pretty charming music. It has the standard, 'I Can't Give You Anything But Love", which is just lovely. Of particular interest is Duke Ellington's Band playing on all of the tracks. I wish I could hear the orchestrations better- saxes, reeds, strings all sounding fun and original. Ethel Waters sounds good enough. I'm excited to listen to her on At Home Abroad (coming up next). Overall, I'd probably listen to this recording much more if the quality were better. It will be fun to listen to the 1953 studio version though. I wonder when I'll get to that? Maybe when I'm 50.
C+

No comments: