Saturday, October 16, 2010

SONG OF NORWAY - 8/21/44


What an awesome cast album. I had no idea this is what it would be like. I've had a two disc studio recording for over ten years and I never could make myself listen to the damn thing. Now, however, I'm singing a different tune. This original cast album (minus the female star, Irra Petina) is the first I've heard that convincingly interpolates singing and speak, back and forth, in such a natural manner. Yes, they sing in a much loftier way, but I don't mind since it is seemingly act-able. This is considered an operetta, but I'm calling it a legit musical. Robert Shafer, who leads off the album, has an incredible tenor voice. The ending of the opening made me applaud from my reclined leather man-chair. Incredible. Also, I've never heard Kitty Carlisle sing like this, and I like it. The songs never bored me. Like I said, I've always had this impression that it would be an utter snooze fest. This is simply not the case. The melodies are very theatrical; they soar when they need to soar and get quiet when they need to be quiet. I'm excited to listen to the next recording of this starring Irra Petina, who wasn't allowed to record with a different record company from the one she was signed to. Stay tuned.

GRADE B+

No comments: