Thursday, June 13, 2013

CAROUSEL 4/19/45

I must confess that CAROUSEL is one of the more popular R & H shows that I don't know as much about. I've never seen it on stage or screen. That being said, I am fairly familiar with the beautiful score. I listened to this remastered original with the score in my lap. I was surprised at how many cuts were made in songs- although I'm sure it was for recording time constraints. The performances are lovely, if of their time period. Some of the female voices have that distinct 'soprano' old school sound that my girlfriend sometimes cringes at when she passes through the room. I'd put Jean Darling (Carrie) in that group. John Raitt, however, is the real deal. I've always been a fan of his voice and this is no exception. In 'The Highest Judge of All' you can hear him use all angles of his voice (belting, mixing, head) all the while acting. And that spin on his high notes! Insane. The Orchestrations were not done By Robert Russell Bennett and I think it shows. Walker's orchestrations are a little busy and clunky for me. GRADE: A

No comments: