Sunday, May 17, 2009

3 more shows to add to the list...

I've finally started back on my big show project.  You know...  The one where I listen to every cast recording possible.  I figure it will take me my whole lifetime so I might as well start now.  I've since abridged my original requirements since I last posted (or is it just post?).  I have the handy Jack Raymond cast recording anthology, and I thought about trying to listen to every show made, regardless of when the cast recording was recorded.  In other words, I could listen to the 1845 musical (well... operetta) Maritana of which  a recording was made in 1968.  After spending some time on this idea I realized it might be the year 2020 by the time I even get to the turn of the century (the turn being 1899 to 1900).  I've now decided to only listen to recordings of the ORIGINAL cast.  It can't just be one song sung by that one guy who made a record when the show closed in 1906.  I'm looking for the real deal: full cast recordings.  This has helped me jump to the 1900's right off the bat.  So.  The first recording:

 (As a side note.. I'm listening to Dessa Rose... and I like it.  This is the third or forth listening, but it keeps getting better.  I never saw it, but I understand it wasn't so great  live.  The recording however, makes me smile.  Steve and Lynn: Please give us anoth-
er big musical like Ragtime.)

The Wizard of Oz. 
 
Now this is a recording that I feel a little deceived into including on my journey.  According to castalbums.org it says it's an original Broadway cast, but I think they're all liars.  Of course you can't really blame anyone at that website since the site is like wikipedia- user created and updated.  Regardless, this recording is not an original cast recording.  It has songs and snippets sung by plenty of other people, but nothing from anyone in the original cast except for a 6 second scarecrow laugh by the original (recorded 30+ years after the fact).  The piece itself is fun and what was usually expected during this time period.  Funny little songs that where added and removed based on what 'star' was entering or exiting the show.  One of the coolest things about this recording is the actual booklets.  Two of them.  One of them has all the lyrics and synopsis, the other gives you the running order so you can listen to everything in its place.  There are two discs boasting over 145 minutes of music.  I would love to know who bought this recording because of that 2 plus hours of mediocre song.  I can't remember any of the songs.  Not one, but I do remember the booklets.  That actually counts for a lot to the cast album collector.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading about all of the songs and information on the show.  

(Side note #2... regarding cool booklets... how about Dessa Rose?  I have no CD in my collection that has the case and booklet Dessa Rose comes in.  It is a full on book!  My favorite package.)

06798.jpg

 
Yes, we've just skipped almost two decades to get to the next recording.  That's what happens when you change the rules like I did.  Sunny is a fantastic Kern and Hammerstein musical comedy.  A lot has happened to the world of musical comedy since the turn of the century and Jerome Kern was key in that transition.  He is famous for his beautiful lush melodies.  Before there was Show Boat, there were plenty of other musicals he wrote for Americans in the early 1900's.  This recording gives us a couple casts on one disc (like the Robin Hood recording and others have done).   Medleys were recorded in the olden days before entire shows made it on record (check out Broadway Through the Gramaphone if this sounds delicious to the ears).  The Sunny CD has lots of medleys, as well as the London cast, 1st National Tour cast, and members of the original.  While this isn't exactly an OBC, it is pretty close.  The liner notes on the reissue were by Mr. Musical Theatre historian himself- Gerald Bordman.  The songs stand on their own.  I can still hum the title song.  "D'ye Love Me?" is also a favorite, as well as "Who" and "Two Little Bluebirds".  I would love for City Center to do this or to get a new studio recording made.  

Last, but DEFINITELY not least: 

                                                                                 Lady, Be Good!
Ok, I thought this picture was funny, so I had to include it.  Gershwin would have loved it.  I would consider this recording (on an LP) to be the first one that comes close to being an Original Broadway Cast- and even this one  doesn't technically pass the test.  This recording was made in London (which was the hotspot for recording cast recordings in the early 1900's.  It seems America was slow to jump on the bandwagon, but plenty of UK shows have complete recordings long before we started doing that on the B-way).  Here, the original stars (Fred and Adele) as well as Mr. Gershwin himself are on the recording.  The sound quality is fantastic.  These songs are just amazing.  One can't help but wonder what the audiences of 1926 thought while watching and listening to this musical who were so accustomed to simple, fundamental harmonies with cheesy orchestrations.  The songs further the plot, the melodies are beautifully unpredictable, and the songs themselves are completely original.  You've still got Cliff Edwards coming on stage to sing a random song in the middle of the action with his ukulele because his contract said so, but I accept all that.  The songs are just so damn good.  Also exciting on this LP is that George plays the piano for many of the tracks.  The LP itself is from the Smithsonian American Musical Theater Series-  so it has lots of fun historic stuff inside: info on the original production, old pictures, a great rundown of the plot and songs, giving each song it's dramatic function.  Overall, this is a fantastic recording.  Whoopee is coming up next on the list and it is from the same series.  I hope that will be as interesting (assuming I actually locate a copy somewhere).  

Until next time...

No comments: