Wednesday, January 16, 2008

LoveMusik & Young Frankenstein





It's funny and rare when listening to a cast recording actually makes me like the music, or rather lets me appreciate the music/show even more.  Both of these CDs changed my whole perception after my initial reactions.  I've never been a huge fan of the music of Kurt Weill.  I like his opera "Street Scene"  but I think that might be because I did it in college.  I've never been a huge fan of Threepenny Opera (remember last year the version at Roundabout... YAWN), and I listened recently to the San Francisco recording of Happy End with slight boredom.  Yes, some songs stand out of each, but over all I just feel like I don't get Brecht.  I am happy to report that the tide has changed, and I now must go back and re-listen to his other shows with a new set of ears.  I enjoyed watching LoveMusik, but I like listening to it even more.  Michael Cerveris and Donna Murphy are unreal on this recording.  I like the accents, I like the acting, I like the singing.  I get a sense of their entire story within these songs that have been completely removed from their original circumstances (and shows).  Songs in this production do not occur chronologically from when they were written, but rather how they serve the drama.  I particularly enjoyed "Alabama Song" and "Speak Low".  This is a CD I will be playing again.   






I really didn't like Young Frankenstein when I saw the gypsy run a couple months ago.  Imagine my surprise when I pop the CD in and can't stop enjoying the songs.  The liner notes imply that Mel Brooks was intentionally channeling different eras of musical 
theater history when he wrote the tunes.  I have to agree.  I love traditional musical theater, and this definitely is a contemporary throwback to those times.  I guess Mel Brooks is the man to thank first, but I'd like to give a big shout out to Doug Besterman.  Brooks writes the melodies (I heard a rumor once that he just sings them into a tape recorder and that's all he does), but it is Mr.  Besterman who actually fills out the songs.  And boy can he fill out a song.  The orchestrations win the award for MVP on this recording.  Maybe while watching the show I was too distracted by the sloppy direction or something to enjoy the actual sound coming at me.  The sound is fresh and crisp with a traditional sound while delivering these crazy, funny (and stupid) lyrics.  It actually made me laugh.  I don't think I laughed once while watching.  Honest.  I don't know many shows that I'd never go see again, but can listen to the recording over and over.  The performances are better here, especially Roger Bart and Megan Mullally.  I get a better sense of what they were shooting for on stage.  

To be sentimental:  this is why (one of the reasons...) I listen to cast recordings.  It makes me so happy to like something more than I ever did.  Hooray.


No comments: